The Role – Health & Safety Compliance Officer
Fresh People are currently recruiting for a Health & Safety Compliance Officer for our client a Fresh Produce business based in Dartford in Kent . In this role you will be responsible for developing and promoting a positive Health & Safety culture, effectively managing the Health & Safety requirements of the business ensuring that the company complies with all external regulations, industry standards and retailer requirements whilst developing and implementing internal standards
- Health and Safety qualifications or QBE, with a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Experience of managing Health and safety in the food industry.
- Excellent communication and verbal skills with all levels of the organisation and fluency in English.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to build and maintain cross-functional working relationships in a team Environment.
In this role you will be responsible for managing the health and safety and compliance across the business which will include managing risks and taking practical steps to protect workers and others from harm. This is a new venture in the UK and as such many of the initial systems set up require immediate development.
While the essential duties and roles are outlined below
- Review and drive compliance of the site H&S policy and H&S management system
- Complete a comprehension Risk Assessment program.
- Management of accident and near misses reporting all incidents are mitigated
- Provide information and training to meet the requirements of Risk Assessments / Accidents and Incidents. This should initially be in the form of Standard Operating Procedures, Safe Systems of Work and Safe Working Procedures (as necessary).
- Consultation with the workers is essential and the building of a H&S culture is critical to the future of the organisation.
- Immediate development of communication, engagement and reporting strategies are required.
- The facilities are developing but are not established so you will be required to ensure the facilities are adequate to meet the demands of the H&S culture required
When the H&S system has been established, your essential roles and responsibilities will evolve to the following ;
- Consult with employees to identify regulatory and operational risks, designing and implementing internal controls to ensure compliance and a safe working environment for all colleagues.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Perform routine risk assessments to ensure the business understands compliance risk, scope and significance.
- Monitoring the organisation’s compliance with regulations and internal policies to ensure they
- are up to date with the relevant laws and requirements.
- Coordinate Health & Safety Committee meetings, recording and reporting thereafter, following up and maintaining all actions.
- Record findings properly, following up with management to ensure the issues are rectified in a timely manner.
- Establish a structured program of health & safety training to meet the demands of the H&S system requirements.
- Gathering of information internally in response to requests by regulatory organisations.
- Collaborating with management to ensure compliance and investigating irregularities.
- Receive and manage external inspections.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work and communicate relevant changes to stakeholders.
- Assist wider Corporate team with Audit follow up on health and safety matters.
If you have the previous experience in H&S within Fresh Produce or Food manufacturing then we would like to hear from you today